hatched by 2 chicks

the incredible adventures of two mamas making and raising our chickadee...or the crafty adventures of chick's mama....

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

so much

there is so much to report and so little time to blog it. so, forgive the bullepoint list of observations and discoveries from these two chicks.

• ROLLING! - on March 4th, right before me and mama lucy's eyes while we gobbled lunch, Hugh rolled from his back to his belly. it was painful to watch - the twisting momentum with his legs and torso, until FINALLY, he flopped himself over. We both squealed with delight - the mamas that is - and he looked up at us and grinned. Over that next week, it was his carnival trick - as soon as we'd put him down on his back, he'd kick himself over to his belly.

• Taking delight in Evie - Hugh has a new best friend and it's not my other boob. He LOVES Evie. He lights up when she trots into the room. He flaps his arms and legs when she wags her tail. He giggles when she scratches herself or runs to grab a bone. And Evie LOVES to lick Hugh. We losing the "one lick a day" rule. Mostly Evie gets to lick his feet freely, but oh the hands and oooooohhhhh his mouth. Those are usually a once a week event.

• Scooching - Hugh started drawing up his legs under his body this past weekend when he's on his belly. With this manuever, he's able to swivel in a 360 arch on his belly, turning to see whatever grabs his attention. He's definitely mobile now.

• MORE ROLLING! - Today, March 18, he rolled from his belly to his back. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fluke. But he did seem surprised to have done it. If he does it again tomorrow, it's a milestone and not a fluke, right?

• Hugh loves singing and dancing - good thing too because these mamas love music. Today I invented new verses to "The Wheels on the Bus" just to make it a bit more edgy - did you know that the drunkards on the bus say, "glug, glug, glug?"

• Lucy and I continue to argue about props for Hugh. I'm opposed to the baby props that make the baby sit upright before they're developmentally able to and/or the ones where they dangle and bounce their feet off the floor. Lucy wants me to intellectualize why I'm opposed. But I'm so tired, I don't have the bandwidth to discuss it, so I just fall back on, "because my intuition says so...." She genuinely wants to know more about it, and I genuinely just want to win this argument once and for all.

• Thumb! Hugh is discovering his thumb. Either thumb will do - just this past week, I've found him chewing/sucking on his thumb more determinedly. soooo cute!

• No teeth yet. gaaaaalllllooonnnnnssss of drool though.

• First Cold - March brought with it Hugh's first cold. It was very mild. Just lots of mucous. He still nursed fine, but learned to DETEST the bulb syringe. I suppose we're doing good for him to have gotten through cold and flu season and only just now getting a little cold. He really did fine with it all, just lots of snot.

• High chair - although food is a ways off still, mama lucy put together Hugh's high chair this weekend. Adding his very own chair to our table feels huge. monumental. even if he's still in our arms at dinner time. now, he has a place at the table whenever he's ready for it. sweet. heart.achingly.sweet.

• Washcloth Addiction - Hugh LOVES to suck on the washcloth in the bathtub. He FREAKS out when I take it away to wring it out. He loves to suck the water out and bite it.

Almost 6 months old and this little guy has brought more love and introspection that I ever knew before. Just tonight while we were slamming dinner and juggling Hugh and exchanging notes about our day, we marveled at where the heck this baby came from? As he reaches for toys on the floor and looks up at us from his quilt, we can't help but marvel at how this all came to be. We have a baby! Wow. When did this happen? It's crazy. Our midwife says it takes about 4 kids before the "alienness" of it all doesn't grab you so hard.

I'm still getting lots of knitting done, amazingly. Another hat for baby tree - a freeform pattern i made up, cause i can't follow a pattern or a recipe to save my life.





And great progress on the wool shorties. Done with the bum and one leg. Will finish the other leg up this week sometime. Then I just have to make an i-cord for the drawstring and we'll be sportin' wool shorties - just in time for spring! You'll have to wait for pics.

In the meantime, enjoy recent pics of hugh!




Labels: ,