"have you seen your oncologist?"
I'm going to write a book of things that people say to me when i wear Hugh in a sling or the Moby. We get lots and lots of comments and oohs and aahs. Mostly because he's so darn cute, I guess. And I think maybe folks mostly see babies in those buckets these days. But today's comment/scene takes the cake.
This is the scene in the parking lot of Hancock HEB - which is VERY very busy - one of the busiest groceries in town. I have Hugh snuggled into the Moby, facing in though, not out. I have the diaper bag on one arm and all my grocery canvas bags on the other and in one hand a couple plastic bags puffed full with other plastic bags to dump into the recycle bin. Admitedly, I do stand out in the parking lot, a bag lady with a baby dangling off me. So, here I am bags on each arm and each hand and a woman zips down the isle in her car and slams on her brakes and rolls down her window when she sees me and Hugh. She yells out the window ~
"Have you seen your oncologist about that?", she asks.
Now, I'm scanning my mama brain in a nanosecond trying to figure out if this is a public service announcement for breast cancer awareness month. Nope, that's in November I'm pretty sure. In another nanosecond I convince myself that I've forgotten to put my boob back in my shirt after nursing Hugh and she sees it dangling in the wind. Nope, boobs are duly smooshed under Hugh in the Moby. In yet another nanosecond I resort to ideas about toilet paper hanging out of my pants, underwear falling down, etc. Isn't it funny where the mind goes in nanoseconds? I have a particularly colorful imagination and overactive judge living in my brain.
Anyway, I'm just smiling at her and Hugh turns his head and starts smiling and cooing at her and then she says, "Cuz you have a very large growth there!"
And then she asks if the Moby is just a long scarf or what.
I'm smiling, "Yes, it is." It's about 7 feet of fabric, I guess.
Hugh is smiling even bigger now and the cars are all backing up in the isle while this lady tells me all about how this is how babies should always be carried. "Well, I guess that's how everyone used to carry their babies."
I'm still smiling, "I suppose so."
She tells me that "he looks like he just rules the world from there."
If she only knew. Hugh has been ruling my world since he was the size of a grain of rice in my belly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hugh has a new chew toy - a size 11 bamboo knitting needle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remember this sweater that I unwound and made into skeins of yarn?
well, here's a recently completed hat, made from that recycled thrift store sweater, for a new baby friend in the womb, Tree. It's the first "ribbing" I've done, after I finally figured out how to purl correctly. Thanks Faye!


<< Home